Smart Silk Pillow guarantees this pillow will give you a cleaner and comfier night’s rest. The “magic” combination for this appears to be a silk interior, cotton exterior, along with a gel filling– the manufacturers claim that Smart Silk Pillows have moisture wicking properties that allow it to breathe keeping you cool and the gel comes in 4 levels of thickness for different types of sleepers. They state Smart Silk has been certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) to be helpful to people with respiratory problems.
How Smart Pillow Works
Smart Silk touts silk (along with 100% cotton) as the best material for pillows. They claim this patented pillow has been scientifically engineered to give you a good night’s rest.
From the website and infomercials, it seems that the silk is on the inside of the pillow; you’re not going to be in direct contact with it. They claim outside is covered in pre-shrunk cotton and the inside is filled with a micro-gel of unknown composition. However, a video reviewer reading the Smart Silk label remarked that it read 100% silk and 100% polyester – we’re not math geniuses but that doesn’t seem to make any sense.
One of its more unique claims-to-fame is that it has been certified to be allergy-friendly by the AAFA. According to the AAFA website, to be certified, pillows must amongst other things: provide an effective barrier for the passage of allergens; the outside must be removable; it must be breathable; and not contain any chemicals known to trigger an allergic response. Both silk and cotton are considered to be naturally hypoallergenic. A list of pillows that meet their criteria can be found here.
Smart Silk Will Cost You
At least $109.80 for the Standard or Queen sizes. This is made more palatable by breaking it up into 3 payments of $29.95 plus $19.95 shipping and handling – that’s a heavy pillow! The King Size costs $119.79 (3 x $33.28 plus S&H).
The Smart Silk Infomercial promises a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee and 10-year warranty; however, there is no language about any guarantee on their website. In addition, as of this writing there was no customer service phone number listed. After some sleuthing (OK we Googled them) their customer service number is (877) 678-7455. A representative confirmed the 60-day/10 year policy but said shipping and handling fees will not be returned and you have to pay to ship it back.
Bottom Line: Is Smart Silk a Scam?
Sleep – everyone needs it! Here are a few things we think you should consider when deciding whether or not to purchase Smart Silk:
- People have different sleeping needs and habits – some like a firm pillow, some more soft. If you’d like information about how to shop for the right pillow check out this article from Forbes.com.
- Smart Silk is over $100. Although it can be returned, you will still pay $19.95 in shipping plus what it costs to send back.
- There are quite a few YouTube reviews of Smart Silk Pillow as well as many blog articles. These people generally say they seem to enjoy their Smart Silk Pillow; however, you should remember that these people have been given the pillow for free in exchange for their review.
- According to this article from The New York Times “Several studies show that there are no significant improvements from using mattress and pillow encasements and other allergy-fighting products.” This article by Intellihealth concurs, but adds “many experts still believe that these covers may be worth their modest cost.”
- If you already have a favorite pillow or don’t have the money for Smart Silk Pillow, you may want to consider a hypoallergenic covering or case instead.
- Here’s a list of other asthma and allergy friendly products certified by the AAFA.
- This article by Web MD offers a host of other ways to minimize allergies in the home caused by dust mites.
A pillow is an essential part of our existence as we spend a good amount of time putting our head on it. We hope these tips help you make an informed decision about Smart Silk, and, most importantly, get some sleep! Let us know what you think below.