Victorian ladies might’ve blushed at an exposed table leg, but these days dealing with skin that’s prone to redness feels more irritating than demure. For those who flush easily, Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream by Dr. Steven Gundry claims to come to the rescue, helping your body reduce facial redness by attacking it both at the surface and at its source.
In addition to decreasing the appearance of redness and rosacea, Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream promises to:
- Help reduce visible inflammation
- Deeply moisturize dehydrated skin
- Soothe and calm irritation
Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream is manufactured by Dr. Steven Gundry, a world-renowned heart surgeon, through Gundry MD.
While the cream is Dr. Gundry’s first foray into making a product, he has authored “Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution,” as well as several articles in The Huffington Post. Both book and articles center around Dr. Gundry’s philosophy for sustainable, healthy eating—which earns high praise.
Dr. Gundry has now turned his attention from those suffering from expanded waistlines to redness and rosacea, which he believes is a sign of insulin resistance, with the Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream.
What Causes Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin disease common in those over the age of 30 and appears as redness on your nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead. Other symptoms include:
- Dry skin that may burn or sting
- Small bumps and pimples or acne-like breakouts
- Skin that gets coarser and thicker, with a bumpy texture
- Dry, red, irritated eyes
Experts aren’t sure what causes rosacea. However, they do know that the redness is a result of irritation—not a bacterial infection, like acne. It tends to affect those who have fair skin or already blush easily and usually runs in families.
Rosacea often flares when something causes the blood vessels in the face to expand, which causes redness. Things that cause a flare-up are called triggers. Common triggers include exercise, sun and wind exposure, hot weather, stress, spicy foods, alcohol, and hot baths. Swings in temperature from hot to cold or cold to hot can also cause a flare-up.
How Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream Claims To Work
Gundry MD claims that their cream combines soothing ingredients with powerful probiotic-derived technology to help rebalance your skin’s levels of healthy bacteria.
According to the product’s website, Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream is unique for featuring four ingredients that have never before been combined into a single redness relief product, which are:
- Anti-Redness Peptide Matrix: Described as a set of "signal" molecules that help encourage natural anti-inflammatory processes in the skin, the Anti-Redness Peptide Matrix is a trademarked designer compound made with Tetrapeptide-14.
- Manufactured by Grant Industries Inc., Tetrapeptide-14 can be used in cosmetic treatments to alleviate the redness associated with red (rosacea-like) skin types or after mild sun exposure.
- In the review of another product using Tetrapeptide-14, Rosacea Support states: The ingredient was screened in a leave-on cosmetic treatment at 5% on several subjects with excessive facial redness and, when used with botanicals, reportedly diminished the redness by 50% in 4 weeks.
- Bonicel: Lauded as the premier probiotic-derived skincare ingredient for balanced skin with improved texture, Bonicel is manufactured by Ganden Probiotics. Marketing information for Bonicel states that it has been shown in four clinical studies to increase skin hydration and elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, roughness, pore size and redness. However, again, no third-party studies can be found.
- Tiger Grass Stem Cells: The manufacturer claims that plant stem cell extract that helps reduce capillary expansion underneath the skin, reducing visible redness. However, researching this ingredient failed to produce any evidence supporting Gundry MD’s claims.
- Another important note: Plant stem cells might be a trendy cosmetic ingredient, but there’s little proof that they can live up to their claims. That’s because stem cells are notoriously delicate, and are long-dead by the time they can be added to any cream — rendering them useless. That’s not such a bad thing, though, since studies show that live stem cells are linked to an increased risk of cancer.
- Myrrh: While you might know myrrh as a gift from the three kings, Gundry MD claims that this ancient tree resin also helps improve circulation and oxygenates skin.
While we couldn’t find any information regarding improved circulation, WebMD supports the manufacturer’s claims that myrrh provides antimicrobial and antifungal benefits to help prevent future redness.
Is There Science To Support Gundry MD’s Claims?
Gundry MD claims that the combination of Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream’s four main ingredients provides the nutrients necessary to reduce the appearance of redness and irritation.
We’ve already shared information that supports the Anti-Redness Peptide Matrix’s effectiveness. Now, let's take a closer look at the creams probiotic ingredient: Bonicel.
First, how do topical probiotics help calm your complexion?
You already know that eating probiotic-rich foods — such as yogurt, kefir, miso soup, and kombucha — or taking oral probiotic supplements can help increase the amount of healthy bacteria in your system.
But, probiotics aren’t just for eating anymore. New studies indicate that there may be benefits associated with using probiotics topically. Dr. Whitney Bowe, a New York City dermatologist, stated the following to Elle Magazine:
“Both [internal and external application] have been shown to affect the skin in a significant way. For antiaging, and also to help with chronic skin conditions—things like acne, rosacea, and eczema.”
Bacillus Ferment, one of the ingredients in Bonicel, is a proven-yet-gentle enzymatic exfoliant. This source of bacterial protease enzymes that helps to loosen cell cohesion while stimulating digestion of keratin protein in the epidermis. Since it’s active at a mild pH range, Bacillus Ferment is preferable to alpha hydroxy fruit acids when caring for sensitive or rosacea-prone skin.
Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream Pricing & Refund Policy
Those interested in purchasing Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream are given three options:
- 1 Jar for $49.00
- 2 Jars for $86.00
- 3 Jars for $120.00
Standard UPS shipping is free. However, shipping can be upgraded to two-day for an additional $16.95 or rushed overnight for an additional $35.00.
Additionally, each purchase is backed by a 100% Money Back Guarantee for 90-days, giving you ample opportunity to experience optimal results risk-free.
While there aren’t instructions for processing a return, Gundry MD’s customer service can be reached by calling (800) 852-0477.
Is Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream Right For You?
Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream appears to be a relatively new product, so we were unable to locate any customer reviews to share. However, like any skin condition, not all redness and irritation are created equal, and what works to calm one person’s inflamed complexion might worsen another’s.
If your facial redness is a relatively new problem, you may want to consider eliminating potential causes before purchasing a treatment. Cleansing religiously, exfoliating too often, and topping it all off with a generous layering of anti-aging products are just a few of the things that can send your complexions into a tailspin.
Another potential culprit? The countless rows of products boasting "for sensitive skin" on store shelves aren’t forced to comply with any regulation before using that label. This means that you might have to take a closer look at ingredients to figure out what's really bugging your skin.
But, it’s worth the effort to do so because, left untreated, rosacea tends to worsen.
There’s no known cure at this time. However, a dermatologist can help you control and reduce the symptoms. That being said, Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream appears to include many ingredients that could help those suffering from sensitive skin and rosacea.
If you’re experiencing rosacea or redness for the first time, you may want to check with a dermatologist before purchasing Correct + Calm Redness Relief Cream. Similarly, you may want to get your doctor’s endorsement if you’re already undergoing treatment.
What if your facial irritation is old hat and you’re in the market for a potentially soothing cream? Correct + Calm Redness Relief might work for you, too. But again, if you’re interested in the cream as a treatment, it’s always worth speaking with a dermatologist first, since over-the-counter products often can’t pack the same punch as a prescription.